Who doesn’t love pasta and meatballs?! This recipe will show you how to spice up a store bought pasta sauce, and easily put together a delicious nutritious meal!
Now to spice up the store bought sauce. I bought a really basic Classico tomato basil sauce. Which of course is perfectly fine on it’s own, but I like to jazz it up a bit. I cut up 1/4 onion, 2 garlic cloves, and 3 stalks of celery. I sautéed them in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes, then added the sauce. I then added a 1/2 cup of broth to the sauce jar, shook it up to get the excess out and dumped that into the pot. Bring it to a boil and then lower temperature and let simmer.
Gonna share this picture again to feature the pasta I used. I love this veggie pasta by Cybeles. It’s ingredients are green lentil, kale, broccoli & spinach. You get a serving of protein and a full serving of veggies! Who doesn’t love that! I like the green variety, but they have other flavors. There are also other brands of pasta like this if your store doesn’t carry this specific brand. This is a great way to cut back on carbs, and still have a pasta meal. I will say it doesn’t make great leftovers, so I prefer to cook what we need for the night and cook more for leftovers.
Time to dish it up! I put pasta on the bottom, sauce and meatballs on top. Asher and Kyle had parmesan on theirs. Enjoy!
Weeknight Pasta and Meatballs
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley/ 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 TBSP olive oil for frying
Sauce and Pasta Ingredients:
- Store bought pasta sauce of choice
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stocks, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Veggie pasta/ or pasta of choice
- Parmesan (optional)
- Combine all meatball ingredients except olive oil. Cover and let sit in the fridge for 30-60 minutes if you want. Use a 1″ cookie scoop if you have one, to create equal sized meatballs. Gently roll each meatball in your hands to creat a nice tight ball.
- Next heat 2 TBSP olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions, garlic, and celery. Sautée for a few minutes until onions have softened. Pour in the sauce and the stock. Bring sauce to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Next heat 2-3 TBSP olive oil in a large pan. Add meatballs being careful not to crowd the pan, work in batches if you need to. Sear the meatballs for several minutes until a nice brown crust has formed then flip them. Once they have seared on each side, place the meatballs into the simmering sauce. Allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Lastly, cook pasta according to package instructions. Assemble your bowl with pasta, sauce, meatballs, and garnish with parmesan if you wish, then enjoy!!
Recipe adapted from https://www.thatskinnychickcanbake.com/easy-italian-meatball-subs/
I hope you enjoy this delicious pasta and meatball recipe! I’d love to hear from you if you try it out. Please like, share and enjoy!